Write a Letter to the Editor and Help End Scott Walker's War on WomenIn their radical pursuit to payoff their friends in right-wing special interest groups, Scott Walker and Rebecca Kleefisch have defunded Planned Parenthood, eliminating funding for women’s health programs that provide cervical cancer screenings, breast exams, and testing and treatment for sexually transmitted diseases.
In Winnebago, Fond du Lac, Sheboygan, and Outagamie counties this means there are no longer any Well-Woman providers, and women without health insurance in central Wisconsin will be forced to forgo routine care if they lack the ability to pay.
Please take a moment to write a letter to the editor of your local paper to help educate your friends and neighbors about Scott Walker’s misplaced and dangerous priorities.
At the bottom of this page are additional resources and information that may be useful to you in crafting your letter to the editor.
Getting Started with your Letter to the Editor
10 Reasons Women Should Recall Scott Walker
- Scott Walker and his extreme right-wing friends want to change our Wisconsin constitution to ban common forms of birth control and outlaw abortion across the board -- even in cases of rape and incest, or if a woman's life is in danger.
- Scott Walker cut funding for child support enforcement programs, making it harder for thousands of Wisconsin women to obtain vital child support payments from deadbeat dads.
- Scott Walker approved tax breaks for the huge corporations and the wealthy while also approving a plan to kick 29,000 children – many of them from single parent households – off of BadgerCare.
- Scott Walker defunded Planned Parenthood's and eliminated Title V, which had provided more than 19,000 women with cervical cancer screenings, breast exams, and testing and treatment for sexually transmitted diseases.
If you are a Wisconsin woman with insufficient funds or insurance to pay for cancer and multiple sclerosis screening and live in Winnebago, Fond du Lac, Sheboygan, or Outagamie County you no longer have a Well Woman Program provider in your area because Scott Walker defunded Planned Parenthood.
- Scott Walker refused to provide funding for programs that help sexual assault victims recover from the physical and emotional trauma of their attack, which forced the Department of Justice to cut grants from its Sexual Assault Victim Services program by 42.5%.
- Scott Walker supports allowing pharmacists to refuse to fill a woman's birth control prescriptions.
- Scott Walker's backward budget also allows insurance companies to discriminate against women by denying coverage for legally prescribed birth control, a divisive, partisan overreach that not only infringes on the rights of women, but insults the ability of medical professionals to determine which medications and treatments are appropriate for their patients.
- Scott Walker and Republican legislators want to repeal the Healthy Youth Act, which requires Wisconsin schools to teach comprehensive, age appropriate sex education. This program has been crucial in helping Wisconsin reduce the very serious problems of teen pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases.
- Scott Walker opposes the Wisconsin law requiring hospitals provide victims of rape with comprehensive, compassionate care, including access to emergency birth control to prevent pregnancy resulting from an assault.
- Scott Walker's budget slashed nearly $1.6 billion from public education, jeopardizing the ability of working Wisconsin women and their families to advance and fulfill their dreams.